About Socket Mobile
Look here for quick access to download:
Socket Mobile Releases Cisco Certified Enhanced Wi-Fi® Companion™ Software
Socket Mobile SoMo™ 650 handheld computer among first Application Specific Devices (ASDs) to receive Cisco Compatible Extensions (CCX) 4.0 certification
HIMSS Show, Conf. Orlando, FL 2/25/2008
Socket Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: SCKT), dba Socket Mobile, Inc., an innovative provider of mobile productivity solutions, today announced the immediate availability of Enhanced Wi-Fi Companion (e-WFC), a software platform that adds robust, enterprise-class wireless connectivity to the Socket Mobile SoMo 650 handheld computer for the business mobility market. With CCX certification, e-WFC greatly increases Wireless LAN (WLAN) security, mobility and overall network management. The e-WFC software works in conjunction with the Socket Mobile Wi-Fi chipset that is used in the Socket Mobile SoMo 650 handheld computer, and is available for purchase by Socket Mobile customers as an upgrade to their pre-existing Wi-Fi Companion software or as an orderable feature in their Socket Mobile handheld computer purchase.
CCX Value Proposition and e-WFC Key Competitive Advantages
With Cisco products in nearly two-thirds of enterprise wireless LAN, or Wi-Fi®, infrastructures today, most business organizations demand that the Wi-Fi radios in their mobile devices bear the Cisco Compatible seal, which is earned through the Cisco Compatible Extensions (CCX) program. The CCX specification defines the set of features needed for a Wi-Fi radio or a client device that uses Wi-Fi Radio, to be deemed ‘compatible’ with a Cisco wireless LAN infrastructure. Although Cisco has published five versions of its CCX specifications, today a product can be certified only for the two most recent versions: Version 4 (V4) or V5.
e-WFC Software Key Features
- Complete solution from Socket Mobile without any third party supplicant. User will have assurance that solution will work right out of the box and Socket Mobile provides both integration professional services and post sales support
- Advanced security and reliability for WLAN traffic of business organizations
- Designed to use minimum power, and Automatic Power Save enables you to further reduce the power usage and to maximize the battery life of your device
- Wi-Fi Alliance Certified and CCX 4.0 certified
- Support for WPA/WPA2 (Enterprise) and EAP methods (LEAP, EAP-FAST, and EAP-TLS) in a single program
- Incorporates award-winning wireless configuration program, known as Wi-Fi Companion
- Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM), a standard for quality of service (QoS) and Cisco roaming enhancements using Cisco Centralized Key Management (CCKM) protocol
- VOIP over Wi-Fi: CCX features incorporate voice-specific enhancements, such as seamless routing of traffic among access points, especially as users ‘roam’ or move through a network and their calls transition from one access point to another
- Enhanced client and network management through multiple SSIDs and VLAN support on an AP and AP-specified transmit power at client
Socket Mobile will be formally launching this new product at the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) annual conference and exhibition February 24-28 in Orlando with Cisco, and providing demonstrations at both the Socket Mobile booth #1312 and the Cisco booth #6251. Reference to Socket Mobile CCX compatibility can currently be found on the Cisco Web Site at http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr46/pr147/socket_p700.html
“Theft of data and confidential information is a concern among organizations that have an increasing number of remote or mobile workers using handheld devices,” said Bob Zink, senior vice president of worldwide sales and marketing at Socket Mobile. “By integrating Cisco CCX into our platform we are able to directly address the challenges our customers face in terms of security, interoperability and scalability regardless of their size or industry. Our SoMo 650 handheld computer is a durable PDA product, and our Wi-Fi software and integrated WLAN offering along with our extended SocketCare™ service and technical support provide features we feel are unique in the industry for this class of device.”
Socket Mobile Enhanced Wi-Fi Companion is available immediately as a software upgrade to existing Socket Mobile customers or as an orderable feature when purchasing the SoMo 650 handheld computer.
For more information and how to purchase visit www.socketmobile.com/ewfc.
About Socket Mobile
Socket Mobile makes mobility computing and productivity work. The company is a one-stop supplier of mobile computing hardware systems, offering a handheld mobile computer specifically designed for business mobility use and an extensive portfolio of essential mobile data collection and networking peripherals that enable mobile automation and productivity increases. The company also offers OEM solutions. Socket is headquartered in Newark, Calif. and can be reached at 510-933-3000 or www.socketmobile.com.
Socket, SoMo, Wi-Fi Companion and Go Wi-Fi! are trademarks or registered trademarks of Socket Communications, Inc., dba Socket Mobile, Inc. All other trademarks and trade names contained herein may be those of their respective owners. © 2008, Socket Communications, Inc., dba Socket Mobile, Inc. All rights reserved.
Contact Us Online:
Toll Free: 1 (800) 552-3300
UK: +44 (0)7787 112109
EMEA: +32 (0) 479 49 64 54
Asia Pacific: +1-510-933-3122
Latin America: +1-510-933-3127